The Fitzpatrick skin type matrix was developed in 1975, by Thomas B. Fitzpatrick, MD, PHD, of Harvard Medical school.This is a classification system for skin typing and is based on a person’s complexion and responses to sun exposure. For successful laser and light therapy, it is necessary to determine your correct skin type before treatment.
Fitzpatrick Skin Type and Description• I extremely fair skin – always burns, never tans
• II fair skin – always burns, sometimes tans
• III medium skin – sometimes burns, always tans
• IV olive skin – rarely burns, always tans
• V moderately pigmented brown skin – never burns, always tans
• VI markedly pigmented black skin – never burns, always tans