Skin ageing is the result of two main biological processes: Chronological ageing due to the normal passage of time, and Photo-aging ageing due to environmental stress factors, in particular UV radiation and free radicals. Individuals who have outdoor lifestyles, live in sunny climates, and are lightly pigmented will experience the greatest degree of photo-ageing. These processes cause visible alterations to skin, such as loss of firmness and elasticity, the appearance of lines and wrinkles, and uneven pigmentation.
Loss of firmness & elasticity.Skin firmness and elasticity is determined mainly by the dermis, where support structures such as collagen and elastin can be found, as well as other such as Hyaluronic acid, one of the chief components of the extracellular matrix, which provide volume and structure to the skin. As skin ages, or is damaged by UV radiation, its ability to renew itself decreases. Fewer dermal support structures are available to maintain skin firmness and elasticity, and skin progressively loses tone.
Wrinkles & lines.As the thickness and resilience of the dermis decreases, lines and wrinkles begin to appear on the surface of the skin. Lines and wrinkles are also caused by alterations to the epidermis where the renewal of keratinocytes slows and the skin barrier function is diminished, leading to surface roughness, dryness and increased sensitivity.
Uneven pigmentation & Age spots
Hyper pigmentation is caused by excessive melanin production in the skin. Melanin is important because it helps to protect skin from UVA / UVB damage. Sun damage, sun exposure, free radicals and skin sensitivity and inflammation can lead to excess melanin production and, over time, the appearance of spots and dull, uneven complexion. Sun protection, anti-oxidants and epidermal repairing agents can help fade hyper pigmentation and prevent its formation.
Solution and prevention
- Eat a healthy wholesome diet with lots of colourful vegetables to boost antioxidant properties.
- Get sufficient restful sleep
- Use a day time antioxidant serum such as @SkinceuticalUK C E Ferulic serum is a revolutionary topical antioxidant combination that provides unprecedented 8-times the skin’s natural photoageing, protection.Culminating more than 10 years research and testing, this latest antioxidant breakthrough contains the original potent formulation of 15% pure l-ascorbic acid and 1% alpha tocopherol. However, the addition of Ferulic acid – a plant-based antioxidant – has transformed the formula, doubling performance of the already powerful combination. This synergistic formulation provides unmatched protection against UV induced erythema, free radical formation, and cellular damage that results in premature skin aging. Daily application of this cutting-edge serum, along with the use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen, offers ultimate protection from UV light and associated skin damage.
- Ultra Facial Defence SPF 50 protects skin from the range of UV rays known to cause premature skin ageing. Formulated with state-of-the-art UV filters,
- Night time Antioxidant - Resveratrol B E by Skinceuticals. Antioxidant night concentrate to help repair and prevent accumulated cell damage. 1% pure, stable resveratrol, synergistically enhanced with 0.5% baicalin and 1% alpha tocopherol (vitamin E)
- Triple lipid repair cream - Anti-ageing treatment to refill cellular lipids and nourish skin. Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 is formulated with a maximized concentration of essential lipids: 2% pure ceramides, 4% natural cholesterol, and 2% fatty acids. This corrective moisturizer works to restore skin's external barrier, support natural skin repair, and nourish skin to improve visible signs of accelerated ageing. Improves skin smoothness and overall radiance. Improves the look of facial fullness and skin texture. Nourishes skin for improved hydration lasting 24 hours.
- Book a facial.