Read on for smart tips and products for men with sensitive skin.
Sensitive skin is any complexion that’s “prone to irritation” and manifests differently in every individual. Those with sensitive skin may experience redness, dryness, itchiness and/or burning brought on by triggers such as weather (sun, wind and extreme temperatures), stress, food, household products or skin care ingredients. Others may experience sensitivity due to a diagnosable skin care condition such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, acne or dermatitis.
Regardless of what’s triggering sensitive skin, it’s important for men to develop an appropriate skin care regimen that nurtures, protects and improves their complexions without causing irritation.
Take care when buying products.When searching for men’s skin care formulas that are friendly for sensitive skin, it’s important to know what to look for in a product. In addition to finding brands that are specially formulated for sensitive skin, keep the following tips in mind:
- Avoid fragrances: Choosing fragrance-free options – in both skin care products and household cleaners – is a golden rule for those with sensitive skin. Only buy products that are labeled “fragrance-free” and avoid those that say they’re “unscented.” This term implies that ingredients were added to neutralise the same fragrances that cause irritation.
- Look for fewer ingredients: A shorter list of ingredients on the label means fewer chemicals for your skin to potentially react with. Be a minimalist when it comes to chemicals.
- Be skeptical: Most terms used on the labels of common skin care products are not regulated. Even if a product claims that it’s hypoallergenic, there’s no guarantee that it’s safe for sensitive skin. Also, it’s a common misconception that “natural” implies “gentle” or “mild,” but your body can easily react to these ingredients as well. Natural ingredients that are less likely to irritate sensitive skin include rose, lavender, chamomile, aloe and witch hazel.
- Perform a patch test: Always test new products – even those that are specially formulated for sensitive skin – with a simple patch test to determine whether or not it’s safe for your skin. For five days, dab a tiny bit of the product behind your ear, and let it sit overnight. Look for signs of irritation when you wake up. If no irritations develop, repeat this test to a patch of skin below the eye. If your skin stays clear, go ahead and use the product.
Build the regimenNot sure what to look for in men’s skin care products?
- Cleanse and nourish
Men with sensitive skin should only use face and body cleansers that are free of soap, which can strip skin of its protective moisture barrier. Skip fragrances and look for formulas that don’t contain alcohol.
- For the face: Skinceuticals Simply Clean wash will help to promote clear, clean skin that’s naturally blemish-free.
- For the body: For a deep clean all over, Molton Brown Black Re-charge Black Pepper Body Wash eliminates sweat, grime and other daily impurities that invade his skin plus the smell is amazing and will linger in the shower room .
- Shave smart
Shaving is a harsh activity that easily irritates sensitive skin. Reduce rashes and bumps by shaving in the shower, or immediately following when hair is soft and pores are open. Also, be sure to allow shaving cream to sit on the surface of skin for a minute or two before shaving, use a sharp razor blade and shave in the direction of hair growth to help skin stay clear, soft and free of irritation.
- Shave: Try using a pre-shave oil The best pre-shave oils and creams use natural oils, such as coconut, sunflower, olive or other oils drawn from plants. Unlike mineral oil, natural oils are low on the grease factor, so they won't clog pores and cause damage to your skin. Eminence organics do really nice soothing calendula oil.
Maintain moistureKeeping skin happy and hydrated is an important step in every guy’s skin care regimen. A good facial cream should be rich in essential fatty acids and oils, vitamins and minerals, nutrients, botanical extracts, and antioxidants (help prevent skin damage caused by the sun, pollutants, and other harmful environmental elements). Below are some ingredients you should look for when shopping for facial moisturisers.
Shea butter: Shea butter is used for its rich texture and strong hydrating properties. It is known as a particularly good moisturizer because it penetrates the skin quickly, leaving it feeling smooth and with no oily residue.
Glycerin: Glycerin is present in all natural and synthetically manufactured fats. It is used in moisturisers because it seems to attract and retain the right amount of water in order to maintain balance in the skin.
Silicone: Silicone is a slippery, water-binding agent used in some lotions and creams to offer long-lasting protection. But be careful with this one because creams that contain too much silicone can leave your face looking greasy.
Green tea: Green tea is an excellent source of antioxidants, and along with grape seed extracts, has become a very popular cosmetic ingredient.
Protect from the sunWhile sensitive skin is sometimes more susceptible to irritation from sunscreen, don’t use this as an excuse to avoid SPF. Look for sunscreen formulas that contain physical barriers – including zinc oxide and titanium dioxide – which are not only less likely to bother skin, but are more effective in blocking out harmful UV rays than their chemical counterparts. While you might find applying sunscreen every day to be annoying, this simple step will save your skin in the long run from premature ageing, wrinkles and, most importantly, skin cancer. Plus, today’s formulas are not the sticky, glue-like products of the past. Instead, most sunscreens are so lightweight that you’ll probably forget you’re even wearing one.
Product pick: Skinceutical ultra 50 is a lightweight sunscreen that’s ideal for the active guy.
Other tips.Sensitive skin can be treated by using products containing natural oils like Aragon oil which has medicinal properties.
A healthy whole food diet will assist skin sensitivity. Natural juices can help fight allergies. Drinking a mix of carrot, beetroot and cucumber juice is found to be highly effective to fight allergies .Try a mix of lemon, honey and water as this is also found to be a good to boost your resistance to skin allergy.